THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Here's Lookin' At you Kid



Ah one of the classics! So I watched this show along time ago, but just haven't had the time to sit down and tell ya all about it. So I watched another one of the great documentaries on this show to get a little back story and learn more about its amazing writer and director. Oh the amazing things you can learn. Lets make a list of funny things I learned about Casablanca.

#1. The screenwriters Jules J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein, Howard Koch didn't know how they was going to finish the show until they were driving over to the set on the day they shot it. They thought it would be fun to simply play it out to see what would happen. "Gather up the usual suspects" was a line they came up with in the car.

#2. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman couldn't stand each other off set and didn't really want to do the show in the first place. Amazing actors.

#3. May sound dumb that I didn't know this, but Casablanca is actually based off a play called "Everybody Comes to Rick's." However this play was unproduced so poor guys who wrote it all never really got their reward.

#4. Warner Brothers the studio who produced this cranked out a film a week and this was meant to be just another one. Little did they know it would be one of the greatest movies of all time.

#5. Here's Lookin' at you was the original line from the play. The screenwriters just added the kid part. It was the greatest change they could have made and made the line infamous!

The amazing writing in this film is my favorite. I don't think any movie has writing as great as this. Perfectly quotable. Favorite lines follow.

"I like to think you killed a man. Its the romantic in me."

"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world. She had to walk into mine."

"Play it once Sam, for old times sake."

"How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they may be scarce."

"Ricks the kind of man that... well if I were a woman, I should be in love with Rick."

I sure hope you all enjoyed this and can watch the show sometime. Next for me is Raging Bull and it has been collecting rental fines and dust while laying on top of my DVD player. I need to get on that.

0 comments: